Your cart is empty empty bag

Free Worldwide Delivery on orders over $50


Fifty Years of Indian Agriculture (In 2 Volumes)

Abdul Munir (Editor) Ali Mohammad (Editor) Hifzur Rehman (Editor) Shamsul Haque Siddqui (Editor)
Synopsis The book consists of in two volumes. Vol. 1 relates to the aspects of production, and Vol. 2 to that of the determinants of production and critically evaluates the achievements and performance of Indian agriculture after Independence. The sustainability and Food security aspects of agricultural development are also examined. After independence it was a challenge to the planners to develop the agriculture to achieve the self-sufficiency because of depressing picture of Indian agriculture with the beginning of the planning. During the British period over 80 per cent of the sown area was under foodgrains cultivation and yet the total output of foodgrains was insufficient for the needs of the country. A large part of the farming was of subsistence nature and 25 per cent area was under irrigation and the rest of 75 per cent had to depend on rainfall associated with drought-dry spells and high level of fluctuation was the chief characteristics of production causing food insecurity. After 50 years of planning, the situation had taken a bit positive turn even after three-fold increase of population, i.e. unemployment period is reduced and wage rate has been changed because of the increased rate of irrigation. The 'Green Revolution' component has changed the total picture and production increased four times but could not compete the past gap between population and foodgrains production. However, the nation has achieved the minimum level of food self- Sufficiency, but due to the faulty distribution and wide income gap, hunger and starvation is still continuing in small segments of population. In these two volumes, attempts have been made to find out all possible positive and negative factors to achieve the much-cherished aim of food security in general and among poorest segments of population in particular.
Read more
84.60 76.14 $ 94.00 $
Free delivery Wolrdwidе in 10-18 days Ships in 1-2 days from New Delhi Membership for 1 Year $35.00
Get it now and save 10%
Members SAVE 10% every day
About the authors

Abdul Munir

Prof. Abdul Munir is working as Chairman in the department of geography at the Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh (India). Prof. Munir has a distinguished academic record and stood first at the M.A. examination. Prof. Munir has a wide ranging interest in many branches of geography but specializes in Agricultural geography, Urban geography and Quantitative geography. Prof. Munir has authored a large number of articles which have been published in journals of repute. Besides, he has also authored several books in the field of Geography. 

Ali Mohammad

Ali Mohammad, M.A., PG.D., is former Chairman, department of Geography, Aligarh Muslim university, Aligarh. His field of specialization is agricultural geography, food security and nutritional problems in rural India. Earlier, he has worked as a Senior research fellow in Jawaharlal Nehru university; as an Associate professor at the centre of West Asian Studies, Aligarh Muslim university, Aligarh; Assopciate professor in Egerton university, Kenya; and Professor in Asmara university, east Africa, Etitrea. Dr. Ali Mohammad has to his credit numerous research papers and more than one dozen books on agriculture, food security and nutritional deficiency.

Shamsul Haque Siddqui

Dr. S.H. Siddiqui is working as Senior reader in the Department of geography at the Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh (India). He has wide interest in geography but specialized in Agricultural geography and Rural development. He has authored a Large number of articles in various journals of geography. Besides, he has also authored several books in Geography.

Write a review
Reviews 0in total

Bibliographic information

Title Fifty Years of Indian Agriculture (In 2 Volumes)
Format Hardcover
Date published: 18.03.2007
Edition 1st ed.
Language: English
isbn 8180693600
length xxiv+654p., Tables; Figures; Maps; References; Index; 23cm.