Overview for South Kanara (1799-1860): A Study in Colonial Administration and Regional Response
The present volume deals with the story of colonial take-over of a coastal region and the revenue administration which the British established there as well as the response of the different classes which they evoked. It is a significant study which fills certain gaps in the history of South Kanara, and at the same time seeks to test certain hypotheses regarding the working of British Colonialism in India by focusing on the regional study. The work is based on archival researches, and will enrich our knowledge of subtler aspects of the colonial administration under British rule in India.
N. Shyam Bhat (Author)
Dr. N. Shyam Bhat, born in 1957, he hails from the Perdala Village ofKasaragod District. Kerala State. He took his B.A. Degree from the University of Mysore and did M.A. in History from Mangalore University (1983) where he secured First Class, First Rank and won the late Dr. P. Gururaja Bhatt. Memorial cash prize. Later in 1988 he took his P. Degree from Managalore University. His areas of specialization are Modern Indian History and History of South Kanara. After serving as Lecturer in Mangalore University for about wo years. Dr. bhat joined the Department of History, Goa University where he is working since November 1988. At present he is a Reader there. Dr. Bhat has attended several regional, national and international seminars and has published more than a dozen research papers. He has completed a research project titledâ€Judiciary and Police in Early Colonial South Kanara 1799-1862â€ funded by the Indian council of Historical Research, New Delhi (1996). He visited Lisbon from May to August 1996 on a Research Fellowship sanctioned by Calouste Gulbenkian foundation, Lisbon. His book on South Kanara 1799-1860. A Study in Colonial administration and Regional Response is published by Mittal Publications, New Delhi in 1998. he has completed another research project on â€œHistory of Trade and Commerce in Goa: 1840-1870â€ funded by Goa University (2000).